Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Why I love spring break

I love teaching. It's fun and meaningful.  It's also all-consuming and stressful.

I feel like I sacrifice so much time with the crew.  That's why breaks are so important. My squad gets all my time and I get to relax. Today is day 2/5. It's 9:20 am. I'm in bed. It's glorious!

Astronaut and princess left because they are teenagers and have lives.  Just kidding! They are with their grandparents. Nerds.  Yesterday, I had breakfast with mechanic bae & squirrel, took squirrel to 2 doctor appointments, helped the little girls clean their room, helped side salad go through his clothes and weed out the small stuff, had lunch with them at Chickfila, saw a movie ("Coco"), did laundry, and went to bed at a reasonable hour.

It's like my SAHM days, but temporary and  paid.  Today, I'm going to do more laundry-it never ends in a family of 7-and consider taking the kids to the pool. I organized my closet this past weekend.


I loved being able to do things with my crew but I don't think I'd want to be a SAHM now. For one, I have no kids at home. They are all in school now.  It's kind of purposes when they are this age.  Also, I truly LOVE my career, my students, and my school.  The balance part is hard, though. I leave before most of the kids.  There are days when I don't get off until 6:30 or 7. I don't get to chaperone field trips and I miss programs. It's stressful, too.  Extremely stressful . But it adds a different type of value to my life. 

In a perfect world, I would have a job with equal pay but half the hours and twice the flexibility. 

One day...

No comments:

Post a Comment