Monday, June 4, 2012

Commando Parenting or Fix-a-Flat

This post is for cloth diapering and disposable diapering parents because folding a flat diaper is a useful skill. This morning, Popcorn woke up super wet and poopy. I'd left my diapers in the living room and I didn't feel like getting up.Plus I sleep naked and my mama and brother were in the living room. Lettuce was asleep, Astronaut and Princess were at school. Squirrel and Side Salad were still asleep. Oh, no! I looked to the left and considered pushing my husband off the bed, onto the floor to wake him up. Just as I was preparing to shove him, something caught my eye.

There was a clean receiving blanket on my bed.  A stroke of genius hit me:

Receiving blankets are just flat diapers.  

{I guess after cloth diapers went out of style these companies decided to keep selling them under a different title.  What the heck is a "receiving" blanket anyways?}

I already had a snappi so I folded the receiving blanket into a diaper and presto, diaper change-o!

I wanted to share this with you because a) all parents have a pile of receiving blankets and b) everybody runs out of diapers once in a while. Maybe all your cloth is in the pail/in the wash/in the dryer/on the line. Maybe you're out of Huggies and not in the mood for a midnight Walmart run.  Truth is, it happens to us all and here's a simple solution to tide you over. I even videoed it. I know, fancy me.

I enlisted Jasmine the Bunny again to help me demonstrate and Princess worked the camera.
First, the video. I'm a bit stuffy so excuse my voice.

Now the step by step pictures:
Regular old receiving blanket

Hot dog fold-ask your kid

Hamburger fold-again, ask your kids

Lift a corner and move it to the left

Trapezoid: a quadrilateral with one pair of parallel sides

Flip the whole thing over

Still a trapezoid

Fold over from the square end....

....all the way to the middle...

Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment