Monday, February 27, 2012

The AAP statement on breastfeeding

Today, the AAP released it's first statement on breastfeeding in 6 years.

Here are some highlights from the introduction:

  • The AAP recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months of life, and then continued breastfeeding to age one and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mama and baby.
  • Breastfeeding is not mere a lifestyle choice; it is a public health issue.
  • Breastmilk is the normal nutrition for a baby.
  • True breastfeeding issue are rare.
  • Babies should be asses using the WHO growth curve standard to avoid misdiagnoses of a child being underweight or failing to thrive.
I have the biggest smile on my face.  3 of my 4 kids were EBF until at least 6 months and 2 of them were breastfed beyond the age of one.  I did it to give my kids the best start. I breastfeed for the same reason I put my kids in car seats, read to them, feed them healthy foods, hug them, etc. I do it because I love them and want them to have the very, VERY best.

The document then goes on to give information about how breastfeeding is beneficial, healthwise.  It covers a number of health concerns and how breastfeeding directly impacts a child's potential of developing them.  A few of these are:
  • SIDS/Infant Mortality
  • Neurological Development
  • Obesity
  • Diabetes
  • Celiac Disease
  • Allergies
  • and more

I urge every person to read this, whether you are a parent or not because this affects our society as a whole.  The full PDF is located here.

Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment