Something has gone wrong.
Yesterday, I started having kind of a pokey pain-like someone was jabbing me with a needle-in my right breast. It was hot to the touch and swollen. I took my temp and it was 101.5 and I literally had goosebumps because I was freezing.
I suspect that I have a touch of the mastitis or, as I like to call it, "the devil has taken up residence in my bosom."
It could just be a plugged duct but the fever and general sense of malaise are telling me otherwise.
This is what I did, per Kelly Mom:
- took a long hot bath and put warm wash cloths on my breast
- put a warm compress on the bed and laid my breast on top of it
- started Popcorn on that side whenever possible. Due to the swelling and excessive milk, she couldn't get my areola in her mouth. I hand expressed almost 2 ounces and then nursed her.
- got lots of rest-no easy task with 5 kids. Astronaut made dinner for he and his siblings-hot dogs, carrot sticks, and chips.
- drank plenty of fluids, mostly juice and Gatorade
- slept a lot. I still woke up every 2 to 4 hours from the pain and nursed.