Friday, May 18, 2012

Day 42: She's Part of the Family

Today, I called Popcorn the wrong name. I called her Side Salad. Well, actually I called her his real name, not literally "side salad." I was holding her and talking to her while she was in a happy attentive phase. He wasn't even in the room. I looked at her sweet face and said, "what are you thinking about, side salad?"
"What did you call me?"
I swear she looked a little taken aback. But she should be happy. In my family, we always call children by the wrong names. This went in to the extent that I was eventually called by all of my siblings' names. I was known as "DexterStevieSamRegina" in my youth. I found this to be exceedingly insulting as I am the only girl. I decided I would be different. I'd never call my kids by the wrong names. I was better than that. Until I had kids. Sometimes, I don't have time to remember their names. Sometimes, I call them by their gender or by their size (bigs and littles) or by their numbers. Yes, they are each assigned a number. But rest assured. Each of their little faces is engraved on my heart. They are my little bunnies and I move them immensely. So Popcorn is now officially part of the brood. She is #5.

No comments:

Post a Comment