Sunday, May 27, 2012

Day 52: Fabulous Fitteds


When I found out I was pregnant with Popcorn, I was psyched about one thing and one thing only-cloth diapering!  I mean, I was excited about a new baby and all but the dipes are what really got me grinning.  You see, we got rid of all of our baby stuff. ALL of it. We were done, after all. So everything had to go, with the exception of my play yard and my cloth dipes. I did give a few away to a friend who was considering cloth.

{Side Salad was our cloth baby. We started cloth diapering him at about 5 months old to save money. I would estimate we spent about $300-$400 on cloth diapers for him. That is nothing compared to what most parents spent in a year on disposables.  We started with about a dozen prefolds, 2 covers (Bummis) and a couple of bumGenius 3.0s.  And my stash just grew from there. I need to take a stash pic, but I'm waiting on some new dipes.}

In the meantime, I'll tell you about one of my favorite fitteds.  They were made by a talented mama named Jen R. at Orange Diaper Company (formerly known as Scuttlebutts). ODC sells both ready-to-ship and custom dipes through their online store.

Cost: They are pricey, ($20-22 for newborn, $30-32 for one size) though not has horrendously priced as goodmamas.  And yes, I have one of those, too.  Back then, they were probably around $20 or $25 each for sized dipes. I honestly can't remember as it's been nearly four years since I bought them.
Quality:  These are some seriously well made diapers.  Jen uses organic fabrics so that they are safe for litttle ones.The are also wonderfully soft and squishy.  You feel good about putting them on your baby. On my first order, I opted for turned and topstiched dipes. I think most patterns look good turned and topstiched.    Here's a pic from when they were brand spankin' new.
I still love looking at them.

These were my absolute favorite dipes, my go-to diapers. Even Lettuce liked them.

And her are some pics of Popcorn in the elephant one tonight.
Here's a close up of the pirate one.  It is in pristine condition after 2 1/2 years of use. 
No stains whatsoever

Front of the dipe
                                                      
Back of the dipe


Close up of the cute heart on the soaker

The diaper looks like it has never been used. In fact, it went through 2 1/2 years of hard use. I shan't lie; I don't baby my dipes. No matter how much I love them, they are still ultimately poop catchers. Back to the dipes: I wish I could afford a full stash of them.  Though they've gone up in price over the past four years, they are well worth it.  I have diapers that cost less that have frayed leg holes, blown elastic.  When it comes to dipes, you generally get what you pay for.  The only issue I experienced with these dipes was with the ones with brown interiors (the lizard/frog and the elephant).  Side Salad's urine "bleached" the interior.  This did not happen with the other two so it was clearly an issue with that fabric.  
Overall Verdict: Great diaper, if you can afford it. This dipe is definitely worth putting a little money to the side for. If I were inclined to sell this dipe, I'm sure I could get a reasonable price for it, given its condition.  I am very happy with it and it is some seriously cute fluff.

When you start building your stash, you are looking for anything and everything but price is definitely a factor. However, once you really get to know your dipes, you find that the cheaper stuff isn't worth it.

Orange Diaper Company is 100% worth the money.


I love buying from WAHMs and local mams.  

No comments:

Post a Comment