Monday, May 7, 2012

My little Squirrel

Squirrel is a most inspiring child.

She is 6 1/2 and in kindergarten. She's rather small for her age, weighing about 45 lbs and about 40 inches tall. She has some health issues, namely super severe eczema that is exacerbated by her allergies: peanuts/tree nuts, dairy, dust and dogs.  She is always itchy and it can make her cantankerous. Still, she's a sweet little thing and I love her to bits.

She's also extremely bright.

I was helping Astronaut with some homework.  {Pause: let me first explain that Squirrel eavesdrops all the time.  She is always listening. Always.}  He was working on long division and I was helping him review his steps when I spotted an error in his algebra.
Me: What is 3 x 3?
Squirrel:  (doing some sort of counting on her fingers) I think it's nine!
Astronaut/Me: Huh? 
She was exactly right. She apparently understand multiplication as repeated addition and solved the problem, as well as 4 x 2.

Saturday, she melted my heart when she told me my stomach was beautiful.  Since my first pregnancy, I have gained about 70 lbs. My stomach looks like a balled up wet paper bag. I almost cried.  I thanked her for helping make my tummy beautiful. Love her!

Like I said, my girl has severe eczema and she is self conscious about it. This is heartbreaking for me, but children can be cruel.  She wants to cover her arms and legs all the time


No comments:

Post a Comment